The cold season has already arrived in many parts of the country. Here in southeast Idaho, even though the fall months have been mild, we know we won’t escape the subzero temperatures and healthy snowfall!
It’s important to prepare your home for the colder weather coming. Taking a little bit of time to winterize your home can save you a lot of time, and money, later on. Check out these tips for preparing your home for the fall and winter.
1. Check window and door weather stripping for damage. (Don’t forget the garage door!)
2. Disconnect water hoses and turn off outdoor water supply lines and irrigation system.
3. Wrap exterior water pipes or hose bibs with heating tape.
4. Clean your gutters. (They’re notorious for freezing in our area!)
5. Check your roof for damage or leaks.
6. Fill cracks in your driveway and foundation.
7. Check attic insulation for pest damage.
8. Have your furnace serviced.
9. Check your chimney for obstructions and make sure your damper is working.
10. Clean and store your lawnmower.
11. Aerate and fertilize your lawn.
12. Change the air filters in your HVAC system.
13. Change smoke detector batteries.
14. Clean and store outdoor furniture. (If you don’t have room to store them inside, consider finding covers to protect them from our harsh winter weather).
15. Have landscaping pruned and put fresh mulch down.
16. Bring potted plants inside.
17. Change your ceiling fan direction.
18. Clean humidifiers before using.
19. Have you sprinklers winterized.
20. Make sure snow equipment is working.